About the event
London Higher’s inaugural London HE Week, held from 17-21 June 2019 was a resounding success, with a full-packed diary of events dedicated to promoting and advocating for London’s HE sector by showcasing the work of our divisions and projects. London Higher members and stakeholders came together to discuss timely issues, identify challenges and opportunities, and celebrate the partnerships existing throughout the sector across the capital.
Thanks to all of our members and partners who played such an important role in helping to plan, organise, host and speak at London HE Week this year.
Please visit the event listing to find out more about what was said and shared at this unique programme of London-focussed events:
MONDAY 17 JUNE
- 9:00am-1:00pm – The London Factor: the Future of Access and Participation in the Capital, organised by AccessHE
- 9:30am-11.30am – Universities under Pressure: a Panel Discussion kindly hosted by PwC, including: Amanda Broderick (Vice-Chancellor & President, University of East London), Nick Hillman (Director, HEPI), Carl Lygo (Vice-Chancellor & CEO, Arden University) and Ben Vulliamy (CEO, University of York Student Union).
- 6:30pm-8:30pm – Improving Access for white students from lower socio-economic backgrounds: Westminster Launch, organised by our NEON division
TUESDAY 18 JUNE Hosted by BT
- 10:00am-12:00pm – Commuter Students in London
- 3:00pm-5:00pm – London Medicine “There’s Nowhere Like London” celebrating what is unique about studying medicine & dentistry in London, including: Jenny Higham (Principal, St George’s, University of London & Chair of the Medical Schools Council), Ed Hughes (Head of Health and Medicine, OfS) and Ozzy Eboreime (Chair of London-wide medical students group).
WEDNESDAY 19 JUNE
- 10:00am-12:00pm – Educating London’s Future Health Workforce: When it comes to funding, what’s fair? including: the NHS, Office for Students, the Royal College of Nursing, Nuffield Trust, the Council of Deans of Health and two of London’s largest providers of health higher education.
- 4:00pm-6:45pm – UniVenture19: The London Student Entrepreneurship Exhibition, kindly hosted by HSBC Global.
THURSDAY 20 JUNE
- 10:00am-12:00pm – Mapping HE Estates
- 4:00pm-4:30pm – London Higher Annual General Meeting
- 4:30pm-6:00pm – London Higher Plenary: “Student Mental Health and Wellbeing in London”, including: Yvonne Hawkins (Director of Teaching Excellence and Student Experience, Office for Students), Professor Sir Simon Wessely (Regius Professor of Psychiatry at King’s College London and core management team SMaRteN), Rachel Piper (Policy Manager, Student Minds) and Professor Oliver Shanley OBE (Regional Chief Nurse for London, NHS England and NHS Improvement)
- 6:00pm-8:00pm – London Higher Annual Summer Reception Sponsored by Barclays
FRIDAY 21 JUNE