As we plan our forthcoming London HE Week we are reflecting on the outstanding contribution London’s HEI’s make not only to our business, but also to people, communities and businesses in the Capital and beyond.
For 19 years London Higher has been working with universities and higher education colleges in London. London Higher engages with over 40 HEI’s who teach 377,000 students and employ over 93,800 members of staff at all skill levels. These universities provide not only a rich experience for their students and staff in London but also for the public including employers, parents, children and businesses who gain benefit from the outputs of cutting edge teaching and research.
Some of the impacts HEIs have locally include:
- Nearly six million people having attended public events organised by universities including open talks, dance, music, theatre and exhibitions;
- Extensive work with local community programmes, assisted by volunteering and providing free legal and healthcare clinics;
- Extramural courses for the public, delivering 1.4 million learner days in continuing professional development and continuing education courses;
- School-based activities with 55,000 to 75,000 London pupils each year including campus visits and summer schools;
- Help to small business start-ups through entrepreneurship training, provision of legal advice and the use of on-campus incubator facilities.
Visit www.madeatuni.org.uk for more information on the campaign.